Friday, January 17, 2014

.017 IN THE NAVY

I am a navy baby - in the literal sense and in the figurative sense, implying that I love to wear navy (pointing out the obvious). To me, nothing will ever be the new black. I surround myself in black, draped up like I am Death in Ingmar Bergman's, The Seventh Seal. But sometimes it feels good to branch out a little. Maybe I will make olive my new color or perhaps I will wear more camel than usual. Though, there has always been one color that has fought for the coveted spot of "staple color" and that is, as the title suggests, navy.

Navy is a color that does not need Patone's "Color of the Year" to earn a place in every designer's heart. The dark shade of blue has enough of a reputation to thrive on its own. Whether it is in classic Americana (Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, and Ralph Lauren to name a few) or in haute couture (Dior immediately comes to mind), navy has no trouble finding a place on the runway or in the everyman's closet.

Now, I am probably telling you nothing that you already do not know. Hell, I am sure most of us already have more than three navy colored items in our closet(s). But, I must ask, can we ever have enough navy? I think one could make navy refreshing by playing with textures: velvet, mohair, tweed, and silk, to name a few. Lately, textures have made quite an appearance on the runway. And with fuzzy sweaters being a new "it" item, how can anyone disagree?

I figured I would make this post a bit more relevant by showcasing navy pieces from the latest pre-fall 14 collections. (All of the photos are sourced to style.com.)

(Pre-Fall 2014 See by ChloƩ - p.s. here's the trend I reported on earlier!)

(Pre-Fall 2014 Kenzo - super about the piped pleats and 70s school girl vibes.)

(Pre Fall 2014 Helmut Lang - shift dresses are still my favorite style of dress)

(Pre Fall 14 BCBG Max Azria - kinda diggin' the southwest themes - love the skirt.) 


(Pre Fall 2014 Band of Outsiders - I am still not over this collection. The patterns!)

Keep eyes peeled for navy both on the runways and on the sales racks! I absolutely love Madewell, Topshop, and Zara for some solid navy pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment